Founded in 1776, the House was inherited and renamed by Louis Roederer in 1833. At a time when the great Champagne Houses purchased grapes from growers, Roederer began acquiring his own vines in 1845 with a novel vision of mastering the entire process—from viticulture to marketing—for his vintage cuvées. Since then, every vintage originates exclusively from the House’s own vines.
Almost two centuries later, Louis Roederer remains an independent and family-owned House with the largest holdings in biodynamically farmed land in Champagne. In late October 2020, following 20 years of environmental transition, 115 hectares of the historic Louis Roederer family vineyard achieved organic certification.